Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beaches

They are amazing.  The best thing about this place.  If the flights here were not upwards of 2K, and if there wasn't a lingering thought of the government toppling, and if there was a reliable source of electricity, and if there wasn't a need to take Malarone, and if the best hospital in the region wasn't a world away, I wonder if it would be possible to create a tourism sector?

The sand is fine, the waves are fun to play in and it's been a while--I think--since there was a shark attack.  Maybe it is because I grew up with the freshest greatest lakes in the world, I am still amazed and in awe of the ocean.  I hope I never loose that.  I have encountered some people in my life who grew up close to the ocean and it has lost it effect on them.

I am filled with both excitement and trepidation when the ocean pulls me out as the next wave comes crashing down.  If the wave crashes ahead of you the ocean pushes you towards the beach and may choose to slam you into the ground. It is no wonder that some people here are afraid of the water.  There are also stories of ancient peoples who live in the ocean and pull people in to their deaths.  The ebb and flow of the ocean is a mysterious thing.

Not all the beaches here are created equally, though, and ones near the city are too be avoided.  Run-off can cause havoc on some of these beaches.  Some of these beaches are literally treated like a latrine.  Swim with caution, sharks and shit may be in the area.

No comments: